At Oshyn we recently upgraded the Jira plugin Greenhopper to the latest version, 6.1. This new version introduces a new functionality: Epics. I’ll take you through how to create an Epic in an existing Jira Project and show all the actions that can be done with an Epic, including: add a new story to the Epic, add an existing issue to the Epic, remove an issue from an Epic, and finally how to complete an Epic.
What is an Epic?
• Home Page
• Promotions Page
• Search Autocomplete
• Search Results
• Search Results Pagination
• Search Results Filtering
Create a Scrum Board
1. Login to Jira
2. In the top menu, click on Agile > Getting Started
3. Click on “Create a new Scrum Board” link
4. Insert the Board name and select the project
Create the Epic
2. Insert Epic name and summary.
Give Color to the Epics
Associate user stories with the Epic
Create a new story
2. Click on the link “Create issue in epic”
Add an existing story or issue to the Epic
Here is the Scrum Board after I created all the stories needed for the Epic: “Search”
Removing an issue from an Epic
1. In the board, drag the issue to the link “Issues without Epics” in the Epics Panel.
2. In the board, click on the Issue link and on the right side you will see the Story information. In Epic field, click on the “x” to remove the Epic.
Completing an Epic
If your team has not completed the stories in the Epic a warning will be shown.
• The team is aligned and has a clear idea of what needs to be completed.
• Epics allow you to visualize team activity and progress.
• Teams can focus on completing an Epic by clearly knowing which stories need to be completed.
• The project manager can organize the project backlog by just dragging and dropping issues to Epics.
- Atlassian (2013). WHAT'S NEW IN GREENHOPPER 6.1. [ONLINE] Available at: http://www.atlassian.com/software/greenhopper/whats-new. [Last Accessed 2-13-2013].
- Rosie Jameson (2013). Working with Epics. [ONLINE] Available at: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/Working+with+Epics. [Last Accessed 2-13-2013].